Friday, May 12, 2006

HOLA FAMILIA!!


Naomi Slade also got her call yesterday... she is going to Hong Kong, China and is speaking Cantanese!! Let's just say that I'm so glad it's her and not me!!


Well, what can I say!? I am so so super excited that I will be serving in the Los Angeles California Temple Visitors' Center!!! It is a way pretty temple. It is way big too- 13 acres, there are 10 sealing rooms and 4 progressive-style ordinance rooms, and the total floor area is 190,614 feet! It is one of the older temples - it was dedicated in 1951. So, if any of you feel like coming to California, be sure to come to the temple and I will give you a tour, I hope you don't mind it being in Spanish though! I am way excited that I will be speaking Spanish- what a dream come true!! I think I seriously got the perfect mission though- I get to proselyte still and do the temple and still learn a language without having to suffer some un-ideal circumstances! I get the best of both worlds! I talked to a girl whose sister served in that exact same mission and she said every few transfers they go to the temple, so I won't even be there most of the time. My area also covers Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, Hollywood, and of course LA- pretty ritzy areas! My mission President is from Mesa and he looks way nice. I don't report until September 6, but that will be good because I will get to spend some time at home after EFY. Anyways, I am way excited and I feel so good about it- I know that this is my mission and is where the Lord wants me!

If you want to keep reading I will tell you about my day yesterday when my call came....

They told me the mail came at 1:30ish, so I checked it at 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, and lastly at 3:00. After opening the mailbox the 4th time and seeing it empty, I thought that I was going to cry. Instead of feeling the disappointment again of an empty mailbox, I decided to just sit and wait for the mailman! so I plopped down on the curb and patiently(?) waited for him. He came about 15 minutes later. Right when he stepped out of his van I approached him and told him that I had been waiting for him allllll day and was wondering if he happened to have a big white envelop from SLC for me. When I spotted it on top I got really excited!! So I got it hand delivered to me- that was fun! AND something crazy... while I was waiting between 1:00 and 3:00, I was writing in my journal and these are the exact words I wrote. "My gut feeling is that I am staying in the states and that I will stay on the West coast... California, Washington, Oregon or Nevada- one of those"- Ya, so I totallly called it!! Mom and dad both guessed spanish speaking, so I guess they called it too! Anyways, it was such a wonderful day yesterday- a day I will never forget!!

5 comments:

Mark said...

I agree, I think it's the perfect call for you as well. It's like our leaders are inspired our something. I am so proud of you and know you will be a super missionary. Just don't become a Lakers fan. You can be a Clippers fan, just not the Lakers. Love you sis.

Lisa said...

you are sosoo cute! I can't believe Naomis call holy moly!!

Bret said...

I'm so excited for you. I was watching The Single's Ward today and it reminded me of you when the chic leaves on a mission, cuz you're a chic and you're leaving on a mission....And I disagree with Mark, I just got done watching the Clippers beat the Suns in game 4 so...Kari, you're not allowed to be a Clippers fan either-

Reed said...

That is awesome Kari!!! I have to admit that I'm kinda sad that you're not speaking the Celestial language (Portuguese of course) so that we could talk but I guess that Spanish is pretty close. I wanted to be able to talk to talk to someone in the fam in Portuguese when I get home. Hey maybe Tami will go Portuguese speaking...

Tami said...

Wow I havent even talked to you since you got your call! But i really am excited for you! You will be the best sister missionary ever! Im so lucky to have such awesome older sisters to look up to! You are amazing