Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007
Helllloooo! Family, how is everyone? Is everyone still alive? Has anyone been getting my emails? Do you remember who I am? Just curious! Anyways, Here's some highlights of my week: Monday we ate some great shrimp, octopus, and fish tacos made with fresh corn, warm tortillas and topped off with cactus salsa- just heaven! I ate way more than I should've, but wow! They were outrageous! Me and my comp. made them at our apartment- kind of funny, the best Mexican food that we've eaten was made by 2 white girls! I'm learning to make the real stuff though and it's so tasty! Cactus salsa is to die for! Can't wait to make if for you! Tuesday we went to the Visitors center with the Figuroa Family. This family is just great. We've been teaching them for about 2 weeks now and they are progressing really well. Aurora, the mom, also has 2 other sisters who are currently being taught by missionaries. They've committed to baptism, but don't have a baptismal date yet- tomorrow we will probably pick a date. I love this family and they really like us and always give us delicious Mexican food and mangos and chocolate- what more could you want! The V.C closes in 2 weeks so we were lucky to get to go with them before it closes.
- General conference was just amazing, don't you all agree? I left feeling so uplifted and just really motivated to be better. My biggest goal that I want to work on is letting virtue always garnish my thoughts. The talk from Elder Holland about words really hit me. I want to make more of an effort to never let rude, sarcastic comments escape my mouth and to be better at not complaining, murmuring, or being pessimistic, but rather having all of my thoughts and words be uplifting and Christ-like. I want to be better and not gossiping or pre-judging people. That was one of my favorite talks as well as Elder Scotts about prayers. I had so many of my personal questions answered directly, as well as so many questions for my investigators. Its amazing how when we go to the Lord with specific questions that He gives us specific answers. I wrote down about 7 questions that I wanted answered before conference and all of them were answered in one way or another- just amazing! I Love general conference! I can type the rest of the email about the things I learned, but no time! What was everyone's favorites? We are teaching this less active lady and her 'Husband' who is not a member. Her 21 year old son just passed away last month and so she's just starting to come to church again. The story of how he died is just bizarre, I couldn't believe it. He got liposuction and they didn't tie the tubes off right and he died within hours. So sad- exercise and eating right is just so much safer isn't it! Marco, the boyfriend/husband, is really great though. We taught them today and I think he'll be baptized- the spirit was strong during the lesson and he understands everything and is looking for the truth. Lisa, the less active, thought Joseph Smith was Pocahontas's husband! We have a lot to teach them!
Favorite Quotes of the week:
*As me and my comp. were pumping our hearts out on our bikes the other day, we passed a black man who yelled at us in an accent that only black men have "you go speed racer!"
*six year old little tublet, Miguelito, was sitting in the back seat of a car of a members as we drove to the V.C. and was trying to force-feed my comp. perros calentes (hot dogs) and Doritos and kept saying "Se le gusta, se le gusta" (I know you like it) as she continually turned her head. He probably said it a good 50 times! Darling kid!
*While teaching a first lesson to a lady for the first time, she carefully studied the painting of Joseph Smith and was blown-away by how much he and I looked alike! "It's the nose" she insisted! I've never been told that I looked "just like Joseph Smith!"- I guess I'll take it as a compliment!
*We knocked into this man in his early 30's covered in tattoos wearing a little white tank top who spoke English. Right in the middle of me and my comp. bearing testimony of The Book of Mormon he looks at me and says "you're very beautiful" and then turns to my companion and
says, "Sorry, I'm having a hard time focusing- I just can't keep my eyes off of her"! Awkward!
Anyways- that's what's going on with me! Life is so great! I love being a missionary. Everyday we meet so many great people and I love being an instrument in the Lord's hands. I hope everyone is doing well and I hope to hear from you soon! Just like Oliver Cowdrey said,
"These are the days never to be forgotten"
Love you lots! Su hermana e hija, Kari
No comments:
Post a Comment