Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trip to the Windy City

So Kirk and I spent the weekend in Chicago visiting some of his family. It was my first time to Chicago and I loved it. It is a big, fun city with lots of people and really tall buildings. AND  by the way, I found out that it is called the Windy City not because it is actually windy, but rather because of the politics- I had no idea! It was really beautiful and wasn't windy at all. 
The bean- which is really a big bean- shaped mirror. Kind of weird, but tourist go crazy over it. You can see the whole Chicago sky line looking in it- or just people that are a little oddly-shaped. Both were neat. 

We spent a couple days in Michigan at their Lake house. It was incredible. This is the view from the back door- talk about being right  on the lake! They just leave their boat and jet-ski docked and ready to party! It was a bit overcast during our stay, but we still loved it. 
Scott, Karen and their son Michael at the lake house. 
They took us to a bunch of cool little restaurants. This little ice cream parlor had the most delicious ice cream. 
This is the view from the top of the Willis Tower, formally the Sears Tower. It is the tallest building in North America- a whoppin 113 stories! 
They had these little 1 1/2 inch thick glass boxes poking out from the top that you could stand in and look over the city. Kirk thought it would be fun to jump when we are in it, but I insisted that just taking a picture was fun enough for me. 
At the top of the tower looking over the city. 
The last day we went on an architectural tour by boat in the Chicago River. Lots of fun! 

3 comments:

Bret said...

Wow Kari soooooo cooooool! I had no idea you went to Chicago. Man, I need to call you guys more often I guess- How is Kirk related to the people you stayed with?

Kari said...

Scott is Kirk's biological father and Karen is his wife and Michael is their son.

Lisa said...

Kar bear thanks for the post. I loved it. Man it looks like you guys had such a wonderful time!! I'm glad that you were able to do so many things. Chicago now is a place i must visit!!

love you