Feb. 26, 2007
Dearly beloved family, As always, it has been a good week. I managed to get only one flat tire this week, which is better than two I guess! Just to our luck, it was on a rainy day and so we had to walk in the rain with our bikes. I had on pants under my dress and a couple layers so the rain it wasn’t too bad. Its actually kind of fun to ride on our bikes in the rain through all the big puddles. I just curl my legs up on my middle bar so I don’t get too wet. Its a little hard to see though with the rain coming in your eyes- I should invest in some goggles! Its only rained 2 times though mom, so don’t worry! My comp. was smart though and brought a poncho that she wears. It is neon green, complete with a hood and all- as if we don’t already stick out enough! I think the people in this town really get a hoot out of us. In the mornings during our exercise especially. I figure though that when people laugh they are happy and that brings them a little closer to the Lord, right? So, I’m fulfilling my purpose as a missionary in the mornings as I punch the air and jump up and down and as I ride my bike by helping people laugh and feel happy! My sweet zone leaders came and happily fixed my tire again though. I think I’m starting to get it down though and that I’ll attempt to fix it the next time (let’s be honest, there likely will be a next time knowing me!) Zone conference was this Wednesday. That is always a treat. They focused a lot on health, which was interesting and really good. A lot of missionaries just don’t take care about their health and gain a bunch of weight and it affects the work. So, I now have restrictions straight from the mission doctor that I’m not allowed to eat fried food, etc. I can now tell that to the sweet hermanas in the rama without lying, rather just being obedient! And we all know the importance of obedience! Zone conference always leaves me with themotivation to be better and to work harder. It is always needed too. We also got to attend this big service activity in Los Angeles on Saturday. It was an African-American ‘discover your roots’ genealogy conference. Way cool! I am so excited to start doing genealogy someday! I learned all sorts of cool stuff and got all pumped up! They had this black gospel choir, complete with drums and all, in the chapel of the LDS church singing their little hearts out and clapping and dancing. It was a little different, but it was fun! The AP’s were the only of the 20 missionaries that got up and started clapping and swaying with them. Apparently they got permission from President before- too bad they didn’t spread that on to us. It was hard holding it in! ïŠ Its so funny how different all the other churchesare from ours though. There’s a lot of excitement, but not much spirit. I just wonder how Heavenly Father really likes His name to be screamed at the top of their lungs. To each their own though! Yesterday was one of those days in my mission that I just felt so happy and grateful that I am here as a missionary. It is such a privilege and I can’t believe I almost passed it up! We went by Ana Silvia’s house to check up on them because they didn’t come to church for the first time in 2 weeks and we wanted to make sure all was well. When we got to their dirty little apartment, sweet little Deana (9 years old, soo intelligent and beautiful and I’m convinced that she is definitely going to be some great leader in the church someday) and her sister Angie (7 years old and so stinkin cute! My comp. always refers to her as ‘little Tublet’ when we are alone. She’s always saying ‘excuse me, excuse me’ and butting into everyone’s conversationswith her 2 front teeth missing- just a doll!). anyways, there they were sitting together on the coach reading out loud from the Book of Mormon! They are the most amazing little girls! I know I was the opposite when I was that age- I thought the book of Mormon was boring! They love it though. We joined in with them and I felt so happy as we all crowded around my tiny hymn book and sang, or tried to sing, ‘secreta Oracion’, one of my favorite hymns, and read together from the book of mormon. I am so glad we found this family. The girls are ready to be baptized, but the mom, Ana Silvia, is not really reading or keeping her commitments. It makes it a little difficult, but I think we’ll go ahead and commit Deana to baptism and hope she inspires her mom. After that we went to the home of a couple we found last Sunday- Christian and Berta. Berta just had a baby and is kind of a punk mom with her nose ring and camouflage clothes- way fun couple and so nice. Afterwards Christian busts out all these Lucky and Polo shirts and let us each pick one. I get so many gifts like this from investigators and members- one of the many perks of being a missionary! The lesson went well too and I have a good feeling about them. The Ruiz family has been dropped, which breaks my heart, but we went by and visited last night and are going to start just teaching the 17 year old daughter, Emir. She is at the stage in her life when she is confused and needs something. She told her dad that it’s like me and my comp are like angels, that we just radiate something and how she feels so different when she’s around us. So she’s recognized the spirit and she has been praying and she thinks the BOM is true. I love that family and I think Emir can be a big influence for good for them.There are so many amazing people here- I can go on and on. I love being able to meet so many of God’s children and see them a little bit like our Heavenly Father does. I know that He truly loves all of them and wants them all to come unto Him. I’m glad that I get to experience a little of the joy and love He feels. The Spanish has been coming more and more everyday. I don’t know how, but I somehow manage to teach just fine. Actually, I know it is the Lord helping me so much. I’ve been able to understand their concerns and answer questions and I am so so grateful for that help. After lessons I’m usually just in awe at what I just did, or rather what the Lord just did through me. I know this is the Lords work and I love being His instrument. Its true that true happiness comes only thorough obedience and through the gospel of Jesus Christ and serving others. I love being a missionary, flat tires, rain and all! Mucho amor, Hermana Crosby
No comments:
Post a Comment